Saturday, June 22, 2013

Forever Alone

March 26, 2009. The day that my life turned upside down. The day that my life took a horrible turn. My husband Charles Wilson was killed in Iraq. He was in the U.S. Marines. I'm 7 months pregnant. I was hoping he would get a chance to see his son. But Charles died doing what he always wanted to do. He died for a wonderful cause. I was in the cemetery, visiting his grave for the first time since the funeral. What am I gonna do? It's not money I'm worried about since I'm a doctor and make some pretty nice money. I don't know if I'm strong enough to raise this baby by myself. I really miss Charles. He was my first and you know what they say about your first love. He was my soulmate. Tears began to flow down my cheeks. Haven't I done enough of that already? I've been crying my eyes out a lot lately. I could feel a hand on my shoulder and I quickly turned around only to smile. It was Charles's best friend William. He's been a godsend to me. Ever since the funeral, he's been by my side looking after me. "I thought I'd find you here," William smiled. "Hey William," I returned the smile before looking back at Charles's grave. "He's in a better place you know.  He wouldn't want you to be so depressed and sad like this. I know you miss him but you're a strong woman Helen. You can make it," William put his arm around my shoulders. "I'm not so sure William. He was my first love. My soulmate. I feel like a part of me is gone," I sobbed, trying not to act hysterical. William hugged me and I could feel him stroking my hair. "It's gonna be okay. You have a lot of people to lean on. You'll find love again," he whispered. I hugged William back and smiled at what he said. "With you?" I giggled. I knew William always had feelings for me. But he stepped back and let Charles have me. William never once made a move. He sure was something else. "Very funny. Maybe one day," he chuckled. Maybe I'll fall for William. Who knows? I felt a lot better now. I was slowly looking forward to the future. Rest In Peace Charles. I love you and I will miss you always. I'll make sure to tell our son all about you.

1 comment:

  1. your writing as always is excellent if a bit on the dark side at times and make you think and remember

    ReplyDelete